According to homethodology, Webster City, Iowa is a small town located in Hamilton County with a population of 8,070 according to the 2019 census. The geography of Webster City is characterized by rolling hills and prairie land, and it is located near the Boone, Des Moines, and Fort Dodge Rivers. The climate of Webster City is temperate continental with hot summers and cold winters.
The history of Webster City dates back to 1855 when it was founded by settlers from New England. The town was originally named after Daniel Webster and was the county seat of Hamilton County until 1878 when the county seat moved to nearby Williams. Over the years, Webster City has seen its share of growth and development with an influx of immigrants from Europe in the early 20th century.
In terms of politics, Webster City has traditionally been a Democratic stronghold in Iowa. In recent years, though, there has been an increase in support for more conservative candidates as well as some independent candidates.
The economy in Webster City is driven largely by agriculture but also includes manufacturing jobs at factories such as John Deere and Cargill. The town also has several businesses that cater to tourists who visit for its historic sites such as the Soldiers Memorial Park or the Boone River Trailhead Park which features hiking trails along the riverbanks.
Webster City is served by two school districts: North Central Community Schools and South Hamilton Community Schools. Both districts offer a variety of educational opportunities for students ranging from elementary through high school including Advanced Placement classes, extracurricular activities such as sports teams and clubs, as well as career technical education programs.
Some notable landmarks in Webster City include the Soldiers Memorial Park which honors fallen veterans from World War I and II; Historic Downtown which includes many buildings on the National Register of Historic Places; Big Woods Lake which offers fishing opportunities; and Fort Dodge Riverfront Park which offers camping sites along with boating activities on Big Creek Lake.
Population: 8,176. Estimated population in July 2020: 8,077 (-1.2% change)
Males: 3,927 (48.0%), Females: 4,249 (52.0%)
Zip code: 50595
Median resident age: 38.9 years
Median household income: $36,582
Median house value: $68,500
Races in Webster City:
- White Non-Hispanic (94.7%)
- Other Asian (1.8%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- Two or more races (1.1%)
Ancestries: German (33.7%), Irish (14.2%), Norwegian (13.0%), English (7.4%), United States (6.2%), French (4.3%).
Elevation: 1055 feet
Land area: 8.6 square miles
Webster City, Iowa is a small city with a population of 8,184 people. The median age in the city is 37.7 years and the majority of residents are white. Approximately 82% of the population is married and 16% have children under 18 living with them. The median household income for Webster City is $48,852, which is slightly lower than the national average. However, the cost of living in Webster City is lower than the national average, making it an attractive place to live for those looking for an affordable lifestyle.
The cost of housing in Webster City is very competitive compared to other cities in Iowa and across the nation. The median home value in Webster City is $115,400 which is significantly lower than neighboring cities such as Des Moines and Ames which have median home values at $193,400 and $213,500 respectively. Renting in Webster City also remains competitive with a median rent price of $650 per month compared to Des Moines at $903 per month and Ames at $1,008 per month. This makes Webster City an ideal choice for those looking to save on housing costs while still enjoying all that Iowa has to offer.
In addition to affordable housing prices, there are many other advantages to living in Webster City such as low taxes and a low crime rate compared to other cities in Iowa. The property tax rate for Webster City is 0.81%, while Des Moines’ rate sits at 1.18%. Crime rates are also much lower than most major cities with only 1 violent crime reported per 1000 citizens compared to Des Moines’ 7 violent crimes reported per 1000 citizens each year.
For population 25 years and over in Webster City
- High school or higher: 84.8%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 17.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.0%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work: 11.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Webster City city
- Never married: 20.0%
- Now married: 57.6%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 9.2%
- Divorced: 12.3%
3.5% Foreign born (2.3% Asia, 0.9% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +224 (+2.8%).
Hospital/medical center in Webster City:
- HAMILTON COUNTY PUBLIC HOSPITAL (800 OHIO STREET BOX 430)
Other hospitals/medical centers near Webster City:
- WRIGHT MEDICAL CENTER (about 20 miles; CLARION, IA)
- TRINITY REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER (about 26 miles; FORT DODGE, IA)
- BOONE COUNTY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; BOONE, IA)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Webster City:
- FORT DODGE REGIONAL (about 26 miles; FORT DODGE, IA; Abbreviation: FOD)
- MASON CITY MUNI (about 59 miles; MASON CITY, IA; Abbreviation: MCW)
- DES MOINES INTL (about 66 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Abbreviation: DSM)
Other public-use airports nearest to Webster City:
- WEBSTER CITY MUNI (about 4 miles; WEBSTER CITY, IA; Abbreviation: EBS)
- EAGLE GROVE MUNI (about 17 miles; EAGLE GROVE, IA; Abbreviation: EAG)
- CLARION MUNI (about 19 miles; CLARION, IA; Abbreviation: CAV)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Webster City:
- IOWA CENTRAL COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 26 miles; FT DODGE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,807)
- IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 39 miles; AMES, IA; Full-time enrollment: 24,473)
- DES MOINES COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 54 miles; ANKENY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 6,959)
- DRAKE UNIVERSITY (about 61 miles; DES MOINES, IA; Full-time enrollment: 4,227)
- NORTH IOWA AREA COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 64 miles; MASON CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,161)
- BUENA VISTA UNIVERSITY (about 95 miles; STORM LAKE, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,524)
- HAWKEYE COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 101 miles; WATERLOO, IA; Full-time enrollment: 3,292)
Public high school in Webster City:
- WEBSTER CITY HIGH SCHOOL (Students: 606; Location: 1001 LYNX AVENUE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Webster City:
- WEBSTER CITY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Students: 549; Location: 1101 DES MOINES STREET; Grades: 05 – 08)
- SUNSET HEIGHTS ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 319; Location: 1101 BOONE ST; Grades: KG – 04)
- PLEASANT VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 255; Location: 1901 WILLSON AVE; Grades: KG – 04)
- RIVERVIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 41; Location: 705 ODELL ST; Grades: PK – PK)
Private primary/middle school in Webster City:
- ST THOMAS AQUINAS ELEM SCHOOL (Students: 120; Location: 624 DUBUQUE STREET; Grades: KG – 6)
Library in Webster City:
- KENDALL YOUNG LIBRARY (Operating income: $323,758; Location: 1201 WILLSON AVE.; 51,521 books; 5,440 audio materials; 1,131 video materials; 127 serial subscriptions)